This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to debug in the applications directly?

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Hello Sebastian,

you created a great framework with NetOffice.

But I still have a question about this: How should I debug NetOffice projects?

I am developing a small Outlook Addin. So far, I test the function of the add-in as a command line application. If it runs correctly, I create the class library and test it directly in Outlook. Debugging is then no longer possible, of course.

Is there another way to debug in the Apllikation directly?

Regards
budul

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

hell budul,
first: thank you :-)
debugging COMAddins is exactly the same like interop.
i dont know you use C# or Vb. in C# go to project properties -> Tab 'Debugging'
select 'start external program' in start action and choose <fullpath>outlook.exe
now start debugging. outlook starts and loads your addin(if you have registered and no issues)
your breakpoints and all the other nice debbuging benefits works now.
Debugging COMAddins is always a little bit tricky i find but a cool thing its possible.

*OL_Regards
Sebastian

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the quick and good recommendation. That worked perfectly.

Another tip to other readers: In the Express versions of Visual Studio the option 'Start external program' does not exist. But you still can use this feature in VS Express also. You have to activate this option on the equally free IDE SharpDevelop. Then the 'start external program' function is also available in VS Express.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I know this is a really old thread, but I found a technique that someone else has posted very useful:

Last section of this page(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2010/03/19/com-shim-wizards-for-vs-2010.aspx), add Outlook / Excel / etc to your solution as the startup application.