This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deployment/Installation

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Hi

I am creating a word add-in in visual basic express 2010 and would like to deploy the add in and create an msi file for the add on or equivalent.

I have had a quick look at WiX Toolset and NSIS however not sure how to create the msi file.
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
you have to create a deployment project in your solution (not sure its supported in vb express)
you find a vb addin deployment sample solution in the download section.

Sebastian
Jul 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM
You cannot make a deployment project with the express editions. This could be a suggestion to develop in future editions of NetOffice Toolbox to have this functionality.

The reason why I am going for an installation is that I cannot register the program (via regasm) on my work computer. I do not have administration rights and I have Windows 7. This is why I have to create deployment package to get around this. So the aim is to create a deployment package home where I have administration rights and install the add in at work.

I was aware of open source deployment software like WiX Toolset and NSIS however have no idea how to use it. Do you have experience in open source deployment .NET software.