This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Outlook email body context menu

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Hello,

I am seeking any (Outlook) API where I can develop logic to evaluate a highlighted/selected word in the body of an email message, and if the selected word matches a specific pattern, provide a context menu that allows a user to take action on the selected word.

A more practical description of what I am asking for would be based on the following scenario...

At the company I work at we have a helpdesk system. This system will send email notifications to employees with the trouble ticket number in the body of the email. The recipient can navigate to the ticket using a web browser and viewing the details. The email does not contain any hyperlinks, just the text of the ticket number (along with description). The URL in the helpdesk system is a simple URL with the ticket number as part of the query string.

Seeking to create an outlook feature where a user would highlight the ticket number, and upon evaluation, if the highlighted word has the specific pattern found (i.e. AAA-AAA-AAAA-NNNN, where A = alphanumeric, and N = numeric) this feature would provide a context menu that opens a web browser with a URL directed at the helpdesk system constructed at runtime to include a query string having the highlighted ticket number, thus dropping the user off at the ticket itself.

Any ideas?
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 6:01 AM
I think its impossible because outlook doesn support this and its regardless from any arround API(VSTO, Interop, NetOffice, Addin.Express or anyone else).
The best way is your comany sends HTML mails and highlight the ticket number directly. Another way is to observe the inbox with a custom addin and modify or replace new mail content.

not sure but may its possible to track the context menu open event for independent actions. (no highlighting of course but may helpfull) gimme this weekend to check this out.
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hi SebastianDotNet,

Thanks for the advice. I know I was grasping at straws on this one. Just thought I would give a shout-out to see if anyone has approached a similar type of concern.

Best Regards,

Barry Anderson

Barry Anderson
(503) 559-9229 : mobile
portland | denver | Salt Lake City