This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem at registration of Word add-in

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Hi,
I devoloped a small Word add-in with Ribbon-bar. For developing the add-in I have admin rights. Everything works nice inkluding testing in Word. Now I tried to registrate the add-in at an user-account without admin rights (same computer). I used Inno Script for a setup (see discussion:435058) and started the setup with runas for admin-rights. Setup finished. After that I used a .reg for registation the add-in for the lokal user ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software....], see link). That was also accepted. So far so good.

At the start-up-screen of Word 2010 my add-in is also shown. When a new Word-document is open my add-in (Ribbon-bar) ist not included in Word. Now "LaodBehavior" of the [HKey_current_user...] is 2 instead of 3 (value in the .reg). Concerning MS this means an error is accured during add-in loading.

Any idea what the error could be? or how could i get the error message?

additional information: I used 5 five Forms in the add-in. Win 7 64bit, VS Express 2012, Office 2010 (32 bit), NetOffice.DeveloperToolbox

Thanks for any help
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I had a similar symptom (as im not sure we share the similar problem).

i left a blank "label" field in my ribbon.xml file, and this is the reason it didnt show on the ribbon.
Where it sais "archive" now, under group1, it was empty before.

Hope it helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" >
<ribbon>
<tabs>
  <tab id="archiveAddin" label="archive">
    <group id="group1" label="archive">
      <button id="customButton1" label="Button1" imageMso="HappyFace" size="large" onAction="OnAction" />
      <button id="customButton2" label="Button2" imageMso="HappyFace" size="large" onAction="OnAction" />
    </group>
  </tab>
</tabs>
</ribbon>
</customUI>
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM
To see the error during the addin load you need to set the environment variable VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS = 0

Please follow the instructions in this link
http://www.scinaptic.com/support/0053.html
Feb 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Hi everybody,

sorry for my late replay. I had a lot of work, so my free-time project (word add-in) got a minor priority.

To ehudklein and mkiruba: Thanks for your replay. They were a help.

The problem was much easier than I thoght. The Problem was in front of the computer. I forgot to include the RibbonUI.xml in the Inno Script (being embarrassed). So the environment variable VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS and the hint with the RibbonUI.xml showed very quick the problem.

Instead of environment variable VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS I used AddInSpy. For me it was a bit easier to work with.

Perhaps my stupid mistake help other.

Thanks for help