This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deployment Outlook addin VS 2013 for Office 2000-2013

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM
Hi,
I'm using Visual Studio 2013 with NetOffice, and I try to deploy my Outlook Addin via InstallShield. I'd like to know which files I have to put in my project to make it works on the client's pc.

With vsto, there's a manifest, a vsto and an output file to put in the application files section, but I don't know wich file I have insert to make the addin start in Outlook.

VSTO also need a prq for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime, but what do I have to set for NetOffice?

On the client, I see the registers and the paths are pointing in the installation folder, where the dll are localized, but nothing happened when Outlook open. I see dlls in the com components.

On my pc, in debug and release mode, it starts by itself... Everything's fine.

I searched for Informations in french/english, but found nothing.

Help me please!
Jan 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM
hey,

(first of all: JE SUIES CHARLIE)

no idea what is a prq but you find a deployment table in the NetOffice documentation page: http://netoffice.codeplex.com/documentation
(please scroll down)

normaly is, the .msi installer/deployment project find the dependencies automaticly. (no idea about install shield)

[Advanced]
1.=Let me know your NO version and the operating system on the client pc. moreover, your addin use the NO Tools or not.
2.) Addin is registered for the current user or systemwide on local machine.
3.) Is you scenario a local desktop session or works from IIS or another web scenario.
[/Advanced]

*Sebastian
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Hi,

"Je suis Chalie" too!

Thanks for your response. Maybe my question was not clear.

My first try was this one : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767.aspx and it works fine.
In this example, wich use Install Shield, I had to insert 3 files: dll.manifest, output, and vsto. ".prq" was a prerequiste for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 tools for Office Runtime installation on the client's pc. I ran it by cmd line, wiith /s /v/qn, and when I open Outlook, my ribbon appears and the code is running.
But I had to create more than one deployer for multiple Office version. Then I found netOffice.

I have downloaded the example VB deployment project on the website, but it's not compatible with Visual Studio 2013.

Second, I watched the tuto there: https://netoffice.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tutorial11_DE_CS.
I translated it with Google, but I don't have new setup project in the choices of Visual Studio new project tab, as I see there.
When I go to new Project, Setup and deployment, in VStudio, I only see Install Shiled, that I've installed previously.

I'd like to know wich files do I have to put/install/register on the client's pc to make my Outlook with netOffice dll run, and if I can use Install Shield to do that, else, how to create msi/installer compatible with netOffice .

Is there any example with Visual Studio 2013 (vb net) and netOffice 1.4.0.0?

I hope this is clear, my first language is french...
Thanks for your help!
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:22 AM
In Install Shield LE I only add the project dll and set (COM Interop and "Extract COM Information"). After Setup is finished I run regasm.exe

c:\Windows\Microsoft .Net\Framework\v4.0.30319\Regasm.exe nameofdll.dll /codebase

But currently I also search for a better solution because sometimes it dosen't work.
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM
@MarieChristine

As first please do me a pleasure and use the latest NO 1.7.2 version(available on nuget).
(It is very challenging for me to support all the older NO versions in detail.)

The most important question: What is your target office application and whats your current NO assemblies on the target system?

Please check the following registry key on the target system: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\$YourOfficeApplication\$YourAddinProgID
This is the central load information for the Office application. The loadbehavior key must be "3" to load at startup. if this key not exists the register process failed, if its loadbehavior set to "2" after office application start, an error occurs while loading the addin. (Try the Wow3264Node also on 64bit systems)

"I have downloaded the example VB deployment project on the website, but it's not compatible with Visual Studio 2013. "
ooops, as far i known Microsoft drop the .msi installation support in visual studio. (no idea why but i guess its a trick to bring more people to the app store)

At last: I suggest you to use the NO Tools, available since NO 1.6 No need to create register code at hand. Checkout the new example projects.

@GermanSniper
"because sometimes it dosen't work."
please explain...what happen?
Jan 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Hello,

I have got almost the same issue as MariChristine, i want to deploy my ribbon for outlook.
At the moment the ribbon work and can be used in my own outlook, when i generate the solution in VS2012 the addIn is automatically installed, but i can't figure out how to deploy it. InstallShield don't help. When i try to install manually the .dll in outlook i got an error message saying "the dll is not a correct outlook dll" (i use the french version of outlook).
Im stuck here and I may stop using NetOffice if i can't solve this issue quickly.

Thank you for your help.
Jan 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM
please explain how you register the addin manually? (gacutil/regasm?) and your used NetOffice version.

*Sebastian
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM
I use the latest version of NetOffice. I didn't used anything special to install the addin in outlook. When i said "manually" i mean that i tried to install the dll from the option menu in outlook.
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM
Hi,
Sorry, I worked on other things...
I have the latest NO version, the one I gave you was the Toolbox's version. Sorry for the mistake.

I'd like to know how to make generate a msi deployer that will install my ribbon on any Outlook version, on any Windows version.

When I run my msi, the application is installed, I can see it in "Program File" or "Program Files X86", but I have to run manually in cmd "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\regasm "path\name.dll"" to make it works in Outlook.

Thanks for your patience and help.
Jan 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Just as MarieChristine, I am looking for the same tool, but with InstallShield and not msi.

EDIT:
I think the solution is in the tutorial 11 which is only in german and in a .msi version. I don't understand german and i use InstallShield.
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM
An Office addin is a COM component (except for document-based addins)

You have to register a COM component on the target system in any case.
You can do this at hand with regasm.exe or let the installer of your choice do this for you.

I have tried to use google with "C# install shield register com interop"
and this topic looks promising.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15104982/how-to-make-my-c-sharp-dll-a-self-registering-dll

(Scroll down to the screenshot.)

*Sebastian