Woud a WIX installer example be useful?

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:12 PM
Hi Sebastian,

I remember when I started with NetOffice and I had huge issues actually creating an MSI file that registered the COM DLL correctly. First I was using Installshield and then I switched to WIX. Now I would never go back to InstallShield even though it took quite some time before I had a working WIX installer ready.

Would a WIX installer example be useful for you to have?

If so, I can prepare a ready Visual Studio project with a simple Outlook add-in that shows a popup when the user sends an email.
Apr 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM
Hi dingosharken,

I would certainly like one. I am going thru the pain of creating an msi using installshield limited edition.

Could you mail me the project?

Thanks
Dave
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM
What a good idea! Its useful, of course.

I also want create a new folder in the example sections which is called "Deployment" incl. WIX, MSI and so on.
You can send me a sample solution to public.sebastian[at]web.de or/and i give you developer access permissions to NetOffice ( I prefer this, you are a registered NetOffice developer in this case and can keep an eye to the deployment sample)

*Sebastian
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:58 PM
I have emailed you the full example now (I prefer this alternative). It has the following properties:
  • Works with Visual Studio 2012+
  • Works with .NET 4.0+
  • Includes switch for Outlook 32-bit or Outlook 64-bit
  • Includes both Per-Machine installer and Per-User installer
Please confirm that you can build it on your machine.

The example can be considered as a small thanks for the great work you have done on NetOffice and that you have decided to make it free to use.
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM
I got your example today - thx. Currently i figure out how i can replace some hardcoded values(like assembly version) in the wix xml definition with placeholders.
If its possible i want improve the Developer Toolbox project wizard to create a wix deployment project for addins(similar to VSTO).

*Sebastian
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:16 PM
As I am currently attempting (unsuccessfully) to create an installshield installer for a COM add-in, I would love to have the proposed Developer Toolbox feature! Do you have any idea when that might be ready? Thanks for all you do!
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Hello dingosharken!

I finally finished my Addin for word. But I encounters a tough problem: deployment. I try to use Visual Studio Installer to package everything, but it's likely COM dll isn't registered correctly, since after installation, Word application doesn't load my Addin. So can you give an example to deploy an Addin?

Thanks!
May 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM
I'm having the same problem as taotaomy with my Word addin. An example WIX installer would be very helpful.
May 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM
I already use the Visual Studio Installer to deploy my project successfully in some cases. Sometimes, I don't what change can cause the register nonfunctional. In other words, I don't really understand how to register my project.

Here is another reason for WIX: VS 2010 is the last version which supports Visual Studio Installer. So WIX would be a good choice for developers.