Office dll dependencies

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hi

I was wondering if the NetOffice has dll dependencies to any Office components, Excel particularly. On a server where we are running the code Office is not installed and following error snippet is thrown:

progId not found. Excel.Application ---> System.ArgumentException: progId not found. Excel.Application

at LateBindingApi.Core.COMObject.CreateFromProgId(String progId)

at LateBindingApi.Core.COMObject..ctor(String progId)

at NetOffice.ExcelApi.Application..ctor()

Thx

AH

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

hello,

NetOffice is a access wrapper similiar to the interop assemblies but with helpful improvements in development and deployment.
you need an installed office in any version. if you want to use excel without an installed office you have to use excel2007 or higher with the open xml format.
a nice project to deal with open xml is ClosedXML http://closedxml.codeplex.com/

*with best regards
Sebastian

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Is it enough to install primary interop assemblies redistributable? Here is a link to what I mean http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3508

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM

no, thats not enough.

the interop assemblies is what you get when you create a new Excel Interop project without NetOffice.
the tool tlbimp.exe creates wrapper assemblies if you add a reference in your project to a COM type library (excel type lib in this case).

the primary interop assemblies is the same as interop assemblies but with some modifications and additional enumerators for some types
to make it a little bit more easier for developers, thats all. it's basicly the same i find with the same problems, not version independent and so on. 
if you want to use the PIA's you have to install this redistributable package behind your link on your development system and the target client machines.

what do you want is a backend redistributable for excel but the only application there supports them is access with the MDAC.

*sorry
Sebastian

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Thanks a lot Sebastian, you have been a huge help for us:)

Kind regards

AH