This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deployment - AddIn

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hi

What a great project you put together here. I can imaging you spend a lot of hours on this - thanks.

I was wandering if you could recommend the best way to deploy an (Excel) addin created with netoffice. I like the idea of doing a xcopy deployment but that would require the client to run a batch/powershell file to register the addin (regasm - right?). Is regasm always present on client machines with .net installed? Would you recommend using MSI og NSIS instead?

Thanks,
Michael 

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM

hello michael,

2 things are necessary for a COM addin

- register: http://netoffice.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
- think about 32 and 64bit support: http://netoffice.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tec_Documentation_English_32Bit_64Bit

i use the standard visual studio installer project(MSI) for COM addin deployment and registering.
regasm is a fixed part of the .net framework but i have no idea for the client profile version.
use regasm in a command shell is not the best idea for my experience, 1 from 10 machines makes trouble.
a completly wrong way is to deploy regasm and try to use in other machines. regasm is helper tool for developers and not even more i find.

*happy deployment
Sebastian

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your answer. So - regasm is only for dev/testing - ok. What kind of setup project do you suggest. Standard .NET 4 setup project? Whan using that with your ExcelClassicAddInExample I can see that the tlb file should be registred as vsdrfCOM, but when installed on a client machine it doesn't work. Only after using regasm on the client the addin is avalible in Excel. Sorry for the stupid questions but do you have info on your site on how to create an installer, or could you help me here?

Thanks,

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Edited Oct 4, 2014 at 4:59 AM
hey michael,yeah, its not so easy, and a good question. you can set the register property for an assembly to vsdraCOM but doesnt helps, the installer calls regsvr32 in this way(thats realy stupid) regsvr32 is the register tool for unmanaged COM assemblies.my solution is excatly the same as you can see in the following topic(scroll down) [link removed because its not valid anymore]
Oct 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Hi,

this link is transferring to some book page and not a discussion about deployment.

can you repost a correct link or the solution you use for deployment?

thanx
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2014 at 5:15 AM
link removed, thx for pointing this out.

for the moment: a walktrough+screenshot gallery is available in german: https://netoffice.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tutorial11_DE_CS
i hope this is also available in english as fast is possible. (documentation and translation is not my part in this project)

If you have question, feel free ;)
Apr 2, 2015 at 4:59 AM
Hi Sebastian,

You have provided documentation on inbuilt msi setup project template in visual studio, I am using visual studio 2013 & I need to create setup with InstallShield .
Anyone can guide me?

Thanks