NetOffice Outlook Plugin Deployment - No Idea How

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Hi Sebastian,

first of all thanks for the great library you have created!!!

I am using it to develop an Office plugin. This plugin is working on my local machine when (somehow magically) deployed through Visual Studio. All fine till here. However, I need to deploy it to other people's computers (who do not have VS installed) and I am really struggling to find a way on how to do that.

My plugin looks like this:
[COMAddin(Constants.ProjectName, "Tool", 3)]
[Guid("B3F60319-1A11-4F3E-9C1B-3AE908D9CA86"), ProgId("Tool.OutlookIntegration")]
public class OutlookIntegration : COMAddin
{
    public OutlookIntegration()
    {
        this.OnStartupComplete += new OnStartupCompleteEventHandler(this.Integrate);

_settings = new Settings();
    }

/* Integrate creates a menu item which does what I need. */
}
The project type is library. Now, the question is how do I make this run on someone elses PC? If you happen to know about some tutorial or anything like that, please let me know.

I am also happy to provide any additional details needed.

Best regards,
D.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2015 at 9:01 PM
what you have to do is copy the assembly (incl. depencies) to the target system and register your assembly here as office addin.

the common ways:

1.) register your assembly at hand with the .net utiltity tool RegAsm.exe

2.) build an installer package and let the installer do the register process for you.
You find 2 example projects for .MSI deployment in the NetOffice download section.
[Example] MSI Deployment (C#)
[Example] MSI Deployment (VB)
You can also use Wix or something else to create a ready-to-go setup package. Just make sure to set the options
"Register for COM" (or something like this)

*Sebastian
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Will try, thanks a lot!
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM
At the hedge fund where I recently worked we deployed VSTO add-ins using ClickOnce.

That was no problem at all for users. We simply sent them a link to the deployment server and had them create a desktop shortcut for the ".application" file. (I liked that better than "setup.exe".)

I don't see any reason why that would not work equally well for NetOffice.

BTW: You can include any number of additional support assemblies in the "required files" on the ClickOnce property page.

If you prefer to avoid learning the details of ClickOnce, you can always try out something like Squirrel.Windows or AutoUpdater.NET.